West Gippsland Healthcare Group provides acute medical and surgical, obstetric, emergency, community and aged care services, primarily in the Shire of Baw Baw, approximately 100 kms east of Melbourne.
We operate from a number of sites. They are West Gippsland Hospital, Community Health Centres in Warragul, Trafalgar and Rawson, Cooinda Lodge and Andrews House aged care residences, and Warragul Linen Service.
Our history dates back to 1888 when the community established a hospital to service the area between Melbourne and Sale. A member of an early settler family, Mary Sargeant, donated the land on which West Gippsland Hospital, the main campus of the Group, now stands.
We have health service delivery responsibilities across a mixture of rural, urban residential and agricultural areas located within the Shire of Baw Baw, and draw clientele from the peripheral east and west of the shire. The Group services a primary catchment population of approximately 52,500. The administrative headquarters are located at West Gippsland Hospital in Warragul, the largest town in the West Gippsland area.
We enjoy close links with other healthcare providers including the Ambulance Service, general practitioners, residential aged care providers, the Baw Baw Shire, other public and private hospitals and a range of other healthcare professionals in private practice.
To deliver the best health outcomes for the West Gippsland community.
To improve the health and wellbeing of our community by enabling access to high quality, contemporary, person-centred healthcare.
Our behaviours and decision making centres around our values of:
We have full accreditation status from the Australian Council on Healthcare Standards, and currently have the following accreditation ratings:
• Full Aged Care accreditation rating with full compliance to all 44 criteria for Andrews House and Cooinda Lodge
• Full accreditation for our hospital and community services under EQuIPNational
• Full accreditation meeting 3 standards and 18 expected outcomes for our Home and Community Care Services (HACC) under the Community Care Common Standards
• Warragul Linen Service full accreditation ISO 9001 Quality Management System
• Community services registration under the Children, Youth and Families Act, 2005
• Full food safety certification
• Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative Accreditation
WGHG applies the Victorian Child Safe Standards across all areas of our services.
We are committed to achieving culturally safe health practices for Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander people.
We acknowledge the traditional owners of the land on which our services are located, and we pay our respects to Elders past, present and future.
West Gippsland Healthcare Group acknowledges the support of the Victorian Government.