Mater Hospital Brisbane: Emergency Medicine Specialists and SMOs
About the role
Mater Hospital Brisbane has exciting opportunities for experienced Emergency Medicine Specialists to join the team on a full time (80 hours per fortnight), or part-time basis (your FTE preference to be discussed during interview stage) over a 12 month fixed term contract.
Mater Health Services comprises of a unique collocation of two public and four private hospitals, and our organisation provides care for over 500,000 patients each year. Within the organisation the Mater Hospital Brisbane Emergency Department sees almost 60,000 public adult patients per year with a 40% admission rate.
The Emergency Department is accredited for 12 months advanced training with the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine. The departments’ facilities include Short Stay Units, Ambulatory Care, Acute Assessment and Resuscitation area. The Department of Emergency Medicine runs active registrar teaching programs for both Primary and Fellowship candidates undertaking FACEM training. Emergency Medicine registrars who have progressed to advanced training may be eligible for rotation to training terms in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care, Paediatric Emergency Medicine, Rural Emergency Medicine, Retrieval Medicine, Ultrasound, Research, and our co-located "Pregnancy ED". Active Emergency Medicine Research is ongoing in the ED.
Salary range: Commensurate with experience
To be considered for this merit-based appointment applicants should:
• Hold general and/or specialist registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Registration Agency
• Be eligible for, or training towards, Fellowship of the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (FACEM), or have experience in contemporary Australasian Emergency Medical practice that would be considered FACEM equivalent by the Director of Emergency Medicine.
• Possess current knowledge and skills applicable to the practice of community Emergency Medicine including acute resuscitation, critical care, and observation medicine.
• Have well-developed written and oral communication skills
• Have a track record of working hard and maximizing patient-focused outcomes in often resource-constrained environments.
• Be a critical thinker with a track record of innovative, self-directed practice.
Please note: Consideration will be given to Fellowship candidates who have recently completed their Fellowship examination.
Experience in rural and/or under-resourced environment would be an advantage.
Why join us?
Mater Hospital Brisbane is part of the historic Mater Health Service, spectacularly located on a hill adjacent the Brisbane River in beautiful, sunny Brisbane in South East Queensland. Immediately adjacent the Hospital there are wide range of bars, restaurants, accommodation complexes, the Brisbane Cultural Centre, numerous theatres, The Gallery of Modern Art, and the world class Queensland museum. There is no shortage of things to do in your free time. The Southbank entertainment precinct and the restaurants and laneway bars of the CBD are walking distance away.
Sunshine Coast beaches are just over an hour north and Byron Bay is 90 minutes to the South.
Mater is a teaching hospital of the University of Queensland and clinicians are eligible for academic appointment to the university.
At Mater Health Services you will enjoy unrivalled staff benefits and exceptional working conditions including, attractive pay rates and incentives, access to salary packaging (to increase your take home pay), up to 12.75% employer superannuation, subsidised onsite car parking and access to excellent public transport facilities and to the onsite gym and swimming pool.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 9 May 2021.
For further information specific to the position, please contact Ms Jacki Derrick, ESO to the Director Emergency Medicine on 07 3163 8246.