Senior House Officers (Emergency Medicine)
Summary/ Seek Short Description
Gold Coast Hospital and Health service is seeking Senior House Officers (PGY 3 or above) to provide clinical care under supervision with on the job senior support, education and training with the expectation that you will advance your skills in the assessment and management of undifferentiated patients of all ages and acuities presenting to the Emergency Department.
For further information on our health service, please watch our corporate video:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9QZ7ONohVRM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
An opportunity has become available for several Senior House Officers (Emergency Medicine) to join Gold Coast Health (GCH) where the focus of our 10 000-strong team is on providing world-class health care to over 550,000 people living in the Gold Coast, and northern New South Wales region of Australia.
You will be responsible for
· Assessing patients, determining and instigating appropriate investigations
· Establishing management plan for patients in consultation with senior medical staff
· Communicating assessment findings, proposed management plans and alternatives to patient and carers and seek consent
· Gathering input from the appropriate multidisciplinary team for patients ongoing clinical care
· Continually monitor and review patient progress and adjust the management plan when necessary
· Ensuring appropriate and timely communication to the General Practitioner, other health care providers and carers to ensure ongoing patient care post hospital stay
Requirements for the role
· MBBS or equivalent qualification
· Registration or eligibility for registration as a Medical Practitioner in Queensland
· AHPRA Registration
· Evidence of competency in speaking and communicating in English as demonstrated by having completed the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination and achieving a minimum score of 7 in each of the four components
· Evidence of vaccination, or be able to be vaccinated against - Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella (Chicken Pox), Pertussis (Whooping Cough) and Hepatitis B
· Tuberculosis screening, to identify if the tuberculosis vaccination may be required
· Declaration of serious discipline history must be disclosed
Gold Coast University Hospital is a large tertiary referral and trauma centre with all subspecialties represented, seeing around 380 attendances per day. Robina is a smaller (DGH style) hospital (around 200 patients per day) with onsite general surgery, general medicine, ICU and Orthopaedics. The department is divided into Acute and Fast track (minor injuries) areas. This campus provides a high exposure to urgent procedures. Subspecialty consults and trauma require transfer following an initial workup, providing experience in arranging transfer or retrieval.
The dual departments have a high acuity patient load and are among the busiest Emergency Departments in Australia, with a great reputation for teaching and training, and offering unparalleled experience. There is dedicated small group Consultant led teaching sessions weekly for SHOs, and a high level of on the floor Consultant supervision and training in both departments.
· Flexible work options
· Career Development
· Salary Packaging
· Modern Facilities
· Diverse Work Culture
· Research Opportunities
· Temporary Full Time (12 months with the possibility of extension)
· Base salary ranging from $83 434 - $89 852 per annum
· Up to 12.75% employer superannuation contribution
· 17.5% leave loading
How to Apply
Click APPLY to submit your application by Friday, 30 April 2021.
Job Ad reference: GC359535
Please note: no third-party applications will be accepted.
Further info box:
***APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY ONLINE***