We are looking for eligible candidates to undertake an accredited ACEM 6 month rotation as a Retrieval Registrar affiliated to the Lismore Base Hospital Emergency Department, but working at the Lismore Westpac Rescue Helicopter Service (WRHS) base in Northern NSW, Australia, 45min drive to the west of Byron Bay from 3 August 2020.
What we offer:
- Initial week of aviation training in Newcastle NSW on state of the art AW 139 Rescue Helicopters including winch training, Hover entry / exit, Underwater Escape Training, cabin set up.
- Second week at the Sydney HEMS ACE Training Centre undertaking a Pre-Hospital Induction Course. This is a high fidelity hands on week of instruction, procedural stations and multiple quality SIMS giving you the skills to successfully work in a pre-hospital arena.
- Then you start work as a Retrieval Clinician in Lismore working alongside NSW Ambulance Critical Care Paramedics trained in Special Access and Pre-hospital and Interhospital transfers. We go off shore and undertake winch recovery operations of critically unwell patients on cruise ships. We undertake water rescues, winch recovery missions from the surrounding ranges and rural areas. We attend high acuity pre-hospital accidents and we transfer complex ICU patients. Most patients are delivered to a Tertiary Gold Coast University Hospital or Lismore Base Hospital. We utilise either our helicopter or a dedicated road retrieval vehicle. We carry state of the art video laryngoscopes, blood products and are enrolled in an international research project involving trauma systems.
- Shifts are 12 hours of a rolling roster. You get runs of days off in between shifts yet you work 40hpw equivalent. There is no on call. Two weekends per month you are not rostered. The Lismore WRHS base is relatively new where you have a personal doctor's room with ensuite. There is a shared complete kitchen and excellent coffee machine.
- You get paid 16 hours of protected teaching time per month. A comprehensive teaching programme is delivered by a dedicated faculty of Retrieval FACEMS focusing on a Retrieval cirriculum but extending to Fellowship Exam preparation. There is also a comprehensive Clinical Governance programme.
- Significant down time possible if you are preparing for a exam.
- You can live in Byron Bay or the surrounding beaches yet commute to work.
- Preferably you tie this in with a 6 month rotation as a ED Advanced Trainee at Lismore Base Hospital that fulfills your non metropolitan ED time requirements.
You must be an Advanced Trainee of a Critical Care Speciality and have done 6 months of either anaesthetics or ICU. You need proficient airway skills.